As people all over the world are making a gradual shift towards healthier lifestyles, Veganism has been gaining immense popularity and credibility over the recent years. Be it for the positive impact it has on the environment, being compassionate towards animals or why vegans are healthier in general than those who consume animal derived products. Before delving into the details of veganism, let’s understand the basics.
What is Veganism?
In essence, Veganism is a way of life that refrains from consuming animal-derived foods and produces. There’s a common misconception that veganism is centered only around diet, which is false. Veganism also encourages once to abstain from other animal produces, like clothing or other products that have involved animal-cruelty at some stage of the process.
So what does a Vegan Diet consist of ?
The vegan diet completely excludes the consumption of meat, seafood, dairy and eggs.
It primarily consists of the following:
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Whole grains
- Tofu and Algae
To get a complete list of foods that are included in a vegan diet, check out this article.
How a vegan diet boosts your immune system
One must understand in order to bulletproof one’s immune system, one must lead a healthy lifestyle and this doesn’t include just nutrition. We should also exercise on a regular basis, practice yoga and meditation. We are always obsessed about taking a holistic approach and that will continue to be our core philosophy.
However speaking specifically about why vegans are healthier and less prone to diseases, we need to understand what are the factors that help us to boost the immune system. We can have a healthy immune system only if our diet is in rich in the following nutrients:
- Vitamin C : This is something that’s abundantly present in citrus fruits, kiwi and broccoli.
- Vitamin E : Present in almonds, wheat germ oil, peanut butter and hazelnuts.
- Zinc : Leafy greens, cashews and chickpeas are highly rich in zinc, which is an extremely critical component to protect the immune system.
- Carotenoids : Present in carrots, spinach, kale, papaya and mango.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids : Present in walnuts, flax seed and chia seeds.
From the above list, we can infer that a vegan diet consists of a much higher proportion of foods that would boost the immune system and this is the primary reason why vegans are healthier.
Other health benefits of a vegan diet
There are numerous health benefits associated with practicing a vegan diet.
- Helps you lose those extra pounds
- Boosts your immune system
- Much more easier to digest
- Rich in fiber and other nutrients
- Reduced blood pressure
- Reduced risk of type-2 diabetes
And the list goes on…
Check out this article to get a comprehensive overview of the health benefits of turning vegan.
How to get started with a Vegan Diet?
It might seem overwhelming at first to make a sudden shift to a strict vegan diet. However, that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case. We’re here to help you get started on this journey and stick with you till the end. That’s our promise 🙂
So here are a few steps that you can take to slowly incorporate the vegan diet into your daily lifestyle 🙂
- Take it easy and go at your own pace. You can figure out which approach works best for you by trial and error.
- Start by replacing one meal or one day of the week with a plant-based alternative and gradually progress.
- Explore different recipes out there so that it doesn’t get mundane in the initial stages. With just a simple search, you can find a plethora of wholesome and delicious recipes in the internet.
- Don’t give up. It’s very easy to drop the idea if something doesn’t work your way or you find it difficult. But stick to the process and watch the results follow. You’ll never go back to your old ways. See it for yourself!
- If you need any help along the way, drop a comment below and we’ll help you out 🙂
In this article, we’ve covered the basic concepts of veganism, how it can help you live a healthier life and how you can get started with a vegan diet, both for yourself and the planet.
We welcome you to join us on this wholesome journey and in case you have any suggestions or queries, comment them down below. We’d be more than happy to help you 🙂